The primary purposes of ISERD are to:
- contribute to sustainable rural development through social and economic development in harmony with the natural environment
- support the potential or capacity building of local institutions and stakeholders in the rural area with academic background.
In order to enhance the realization of the primary purposes of ISERD, the secondary purposes are to:
- facilitate interaction among international, governmental, non-governmental organizations and local communities
- hold conferences or symposia on environmental and rural development
- publish the International Journal of Environmental and Rural Development
- encourage and develop local awareness concerning sustainable rural development.